Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Crib Lem, Carneddau




I have been out with Jim today who is on my mentor scheme. It got cold overnight and had been snowing on the tops over about 300m. There was snow down to the road in Ogwen when I drove through this morning. Jim and I headed into Cwm Glas Bach on the Carneddau. This small Cwm sits above Llech Ddu and is North facing so holds the snow well. On the walk in the snow was simply fresh powder but once we got above about 700m the old snow patches stood upto our weight and gave us some nice neve to reach the base of our route, the Crib Lem (I/II). This is a beautiful little ridge that gave a lovely mountaineering route to the summit of Carnedd Dafydd. The snow was nicely consolidated underfoot, the rocks well rimed and the fresh snowfall added an extra air of winter to a great day out.

No comments: