Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Dad's last Munro


Sir Hugh Munro published his first list of tables of Scotland's 3000 ft mountains in 1891, a list that now comprises 284 summits. The first person to be credited with the achievement of climbing all of the Munros was Reverend A E Robertson in 1901. He finished his tally on the Aonach Eagach and is recorded as having first kissed the summit cairn and then his wife. 

Dad started his Munros in 1991 having taken my Mum, sister and me on a walking holiday from Glasgow to Fort William, The West Highland Way. We finished our week with an ascent of Ben Nevis on the 31st May. I was 13 years old and that first Munro had a profound influence on the path the rest of my life would take. It also started a campaign for my Dad that began slowly and gathered momentum over more recent years. Dad was joined for the most part by Mum, she has done 181 of the Munros herself, and by good friends and family along the way too. 

The last three days have seen us mopping up the remaining four. Dad hasn't purposefully left one for the end but our final summit today was Ben Cruachan. My sister lives in Hong Kong so wasn't able to join us but celebrated with us via phone at the end of the day. My Mum and I joined the old man in some pretty dreich weather and celebrated his achievement with a single malt on the summit. He made the clever move of kissing his wife first and then the summit cairn. Well done Dad (and Mum)! 










No comments: