Saturday, May 16, 2015

Wow - Skiing in Scotland in May!

I am working on Skye this week coming, on our annual Skye scrambling course. Havering checked the forecast and seen pictures of people skiing this week I decided it was worth chucking the skis in the back and leaving a day or so early. I'm glad I did! The rain was hammering the window this morning but the thermometer was low so I had faith it would be falling as snow up high. 
I walked up into Stob Coire nan Lochain in Glencoe, skis on my back and decided to head up Dorsal ArĂȘte, skipping the fin at the top as my skis were acting like a big sail on my back in the crosswinds. 
I then dropped into Broad Gully for the ski descent. This is a descent I have wanted to do for some time but had written off for this year, I still can't believe I got to do it in May! The snow was a bit hard at the top but softened up nicely lower down and I was able to open up on the exit slopes. Superb! 


No comments: